7 Tips to Care For Your Beard This Summer
Beard care is more than just a trend; it is an essential aspect of grooming for men who want to have the best facade. Facial hair has been a symbol of masculinity and strength for centuries, and a well-groomed beard can enhance a man's appearance and confidence.
However, growing and maintaining a healthy beard takes time and effort.
Summer is a time when most people tend to shed their winter layers and enjoy the sun, but for men with beards, summer can bring unique challenges to beard care. The hot and humid weather can lead to sweat, dirt, and oil buildup in the beard, causing irritation and other issues.
Proper beard care is essential during the summer months to maintain a healthy and well-groomed beard while preventing issues such as dryness, flaking, and itching. This includes proper washing and conditioning, trimming, and styling.
Neglecting beard care during summer can lead to discomfort, irritation, and an unattractive appearance. In this article, we will discuss the importance of beard care during summer and provide tips for maintaining a healthy and attractive beard during the hottest months of the year.
1. Exfoliate and Cleanse Your Beard
Washing and exfoliating your beard regularly during summer is an essential aspect of beard care. The hot and humid weather can lead to sweat, dirt, and oil buildup in the beard, which can cause irritation, breakouts, and bad odor.
During summer, your beard plays the role of a filter against the sun, dust, and pollen in the air. However, this can result in a buildup of debris and residue over time, which can accumulate on your skin and around your hair follicles. This accumulation can lead to slow beard growth, cause irritation and itchiness, and make your beard feel greasy.
To prevent these issues, it is essential to take proper care of your beard by regularly washing and exfoliating it, and using sunscreen to protect it from the harmful effects of the sun.
Washing your beard with a mild cleanser or beard shampoo helps to remove sweat, dirt, and excess oil, keeping your beard clean and fresh. Exfoliating your beard also helps to remove dead skin cells, unclog pores, and stimulate hair growth, giving you a healthier and fuller-looking beard.
How to Wash Your Beard
To maintain a healthy and well-groomed beard, it is crucial to follow a proper washing and exfoliating routine.
- Begin by washing your beard with a high-quality shampoo, which not only softens the hair but also removes any dirt, debris, or other buildup that may have accumulated.
- After washing, use a beard comb or brush to further soften the hair and detangle any knots or tangles.
- Apply an exfoliant to your skin and beard, working it through from the roots to the tips to remove dead skin cells, unclog pores, and stimulate hair growth.
- Finally, rinse your beard thoroughly to prevent any product buildup and ensure that it is fully moisturized, leaving you with a healthy, shiny, and attractive beard.
2. Use Beard Oils
The hot and humid weather can cause dryness and irritation, leading to an unhealthy and unkempt beard. To remedy this, beard oil can be used which contains essential oils that help to moisturize and condition the beard, promoting healthy growth and improving its overall appearance.
The beard oil also helps to soothe the skin, reducing any itchiness or irritation caused by sweat, dust, or pollen. Applying beard oil to your beard in the morning and evening can help to prevent split ends, breakage, and frizz, leaving your beard looking smooth and shiny. In addition, beard oil can also help to prevent dandruff and flakiness, keeping your beard clean and fresh.
It can also contribute to restoring the natural oils that your beard loses during the washing process and provides it with moisture throughout the day. However, it also has the added benefit of acting as a protective barrier against harmful chemicals, salt, and pollutants when swimming.
Applying beard oil before going for a swim creates a protective layer between your beard hair and the water, helping to prevent damage caused by harsh chemicals or salt.
Therefore, incorporating beard oil into your summer beard care routine can help to keep your beard moisturized and protected against the elements, leaving it looking healthy and attractive.
Recommended Beard Oils
The following products are recommended for our viewer's consideration:
- Provides moisturization plus protects your beard.
- It has natural oils that add softness and protect your beard from hair breakage, dullness, and dry skin.
- The luxurious cologne-grade fragrances will leave you feeling refreshed and invigorated all day long.
- It protects your beard from dryness, itchiness, redness, or flakes.
- This rich, conditioning oil is packed with natural oils that add softness and shine while you sleep.
- The luxurious cologne-grade fragrance will leave you feeling refreshed and smelling great.
- Keep your beard looking good all day with our natural oils which help protect against dryness, breakage, and flakes.
- It keeps your beard moisturized and healthy.
- Our special blend of natural oils helps your beard stay moisturized while you sleep.
- When you wake up, your skin will be nourished and your beard will be soft and sleek.
Common Benefits which can be attributed to all of the above products include:
- Natural Oils Add Softness & Shine.
- Contains No Known DHT Inhibitors.
- For All Beard & Skin Types.
- Luxurious Cologne-Grade Fragrances.
- Certified Cruelty-Free, Paraben-Free, and Vegan-Friendly.
3. Tame Your Beard With a Brush or Comb
Using a beard brush during the summer months is important for maintaining a healthy and attractive beard. It is recommended to use a high-quality boar hair beard brush to groom your beard regularly.
This grooming technique helps to evenly distribute the natural oils from your skin and any beard oil that you may have applied, ensuring that your beard is properly moisturized. Additionally, using a beard brush can help to exfoliate the skin underneath, removing any debris or buildup that may have accumulated in your beard.
This leaves your hair follicles clear and ready to absorb moisture, promoting healthy growth and preventing any irritation or discomfort. Therefore, incorporating the use of a boar's beard brush into your beard care routine during the summer months can help keep your beard healthy, nourished, and looking its best.
Recommended Beard Brush/ Comb
- Innovatively constructed using a premium quality polished Beechwood handle.
- The brush bristles are sourced and cut from nylon bristle material that will help detangle the bushiest of beards, reducing frizz whilst naturally conditioning your beard.
- Fits perfectly in the palm of your hand as well as your pocket, making it the perfect travel companion for all beards, big and small.
- Handcrafted from 100% solid African wedge wood, they display a natural dark effect without the need for staining with needless chemicals.
- It features a 'flip style' handle for easy storage to fit comfortably into your pocket, proving to be the perfect travel companion for the bearded gentleman.
- With elegantly crafted curves, this design is as easy on the eye as it is in the palm of your hand.
4. Rinse Your Beard Post Swimming Session
Rinsing your beard after swimming is important to maintain the health and appearance of your beard, especially during the summer months. No matter where you swim - whether it's in the ocean, a lake, a river, or a pool - it is essential to rinse your beard afterward.
Saltwater can be very harsh and can have a drying effect on both your skin and hair, while the chlorine in pools can be particularly damaging with prolonged exposure. Even lakes and rivers can contain pollutants and allergens that may irritate your skin.
Rinsing your beard thoroughly after swimming will help to remove any residue or harmful substances that may have accumulated on your beard, protecting it from damage and preventing dryness and irritation.
Therefore, it is important to include a thorough beard rinse in your summer beard care routine to ensure that your beard stays healthy and looks its best.
5. Use Products With Stronger Hold
During summer, if you want your beard to maintain its shape for a special occasion, it is recommended to use balm or wax instead of butter. Heat can cause oil-based products to break down quickly, while wax-based products have better heat resistance. Using a stronger product like a balm or wax can help your beard to hold its shape in hot and humid weather. Therefore, if you want your beard to stay stylish and well-groomed during summer events, it's best to opt for a stronger product with a stronger hold like balm or wax.
Recommended Beard Balm or Wax
- All-natural, non-greasy beard balm that will keep your beard soft and healthy.
- Made with natural beeswax, it provides medium-strength hold while still being gentle on your skin.
- The luxurious cologne-grade fragrances will make you smell great all day long.
- Non-Greasy Formula Soothes + Protects.
- Soften & Revitalizes Hair.
- Natural Beeswax Provides Medium-Strength Hold.
- Luxurious Cologne-Grade Fragrances.
- Cruelty-Free, Paraben-Free.
- A product to help you shape & style your beard.
- Beard and Moustache wax is perfect to have in your possession because it brings your facial hair in line with any fashion you desire.
- It has natural ingredients like lanolin, shea butter, and essential oils.
- These elements combine to create a mustache and beard wax with medium to high hold, helping your style to stay strong all day long.
6. Regularly Moisturize Your Beard
To prevent your beard and the skin underneath from drying out during summer, it is important to maintain proper moisture levels. This begins with using beard oil and staying hydrated by drinking water.
However, if you still notice dryness, it's time to step up your beard care routine. A high-quality beard conditioner should be used after every wash to replenish moisture and nourish your beard.
For a more intensive treatment, consider applying a deep-conditioning beard butter mask overnight. Since the sun can deplete moisture from your beard, it's crucial to prioritize moisture in your summer beard care routine. By doing so, you can keep your beard healthy, soft, and attractive throughout the hot summer months.
Recommended Beard Conditioner and Butter
- A unique blend of silk amino acids and apricot kernel oil work together to deeply moisturize and nourish your beard, resulting in a softer, smoother, and healthier-looking beard.
- Cologne-grade fragrances will leave you feeling refreshed and smelling great all day long.
- For All Beard & Skin Types.
- Cruelty-Free, Paraben Free, Vegan-Friendly.
- Beard Butter is packed full of rich natural oils and plant butter that will moisturize, strengthen and protect your facial hair.
- Non-greasy and low-hold formula will help you achieve softer and smoother hair.
- Luxurious Cologne-Grade Fragrances will make you feel like a true warrior.
- Cruelty-Free, Paraben-Free, Vegan-Friendly.
7. Trim and Style Your Beard
Trimming and styling your beard can be essential in summer for a variety of reasons. The hot and humid weather can cause your beard to become unruly and difficult to manage. Trimming your beard regularly can help to maintain its shape and prevent it from looking messy or unkempt. Trimming and styling can also help to prevent excessive sweating and skin irritation, which can be common during summer.
By keeping your beard neat and tidy, you can avoid trapping sweat and dirt in the hair follicles, reducing the risk of acne, rashes, and other skin problems. Regularly trimming your beard can help to maintain adequate moisture levels, without having to shave it off completely.
Summer is an excellent time to experiment with different styles and looks, so you don't have to stick to the same old beard style. By trying out new styles, you can discover what works best for you and make a refreshing change.
Recommended Summer Beard Styles
The Short Beard: This style is perfect for summer as it's easy to maintain and doesn't feel too heavy. It's a simple style that involves keeping your beard trimmed to a short length, typically around 1-2 cm.
The Stubble: Stubble is a great summer beard style that looks effortlessly cool. It involves growing your beard to a short length, around 3-5 mm, and then maintaining it by regularly trimming it down.
The Goatee: A goatee is a classic beard that looks great in the summer. It involves growing out the hair on your chin and trimming it down to a point. You can choose to keep the rest of your face clean-shaven or go for light stubble.
The Van Dyke: The Van Dyke is a stylish beard style that involves growing out your mustache and chin hair, but keeping the hair on your cheeks trimmed short or shaved. It's a more sophisticated look that works well for formal occasions.
The Circle Beard: The Circle Beard is a classic beard style that looks great in the summer. It involves growing out your mustache and chin hair, but keeping the hair on your cheeks trimmed short or shaved. The result is a circular beard shape that frames your face nicely.
Embrace this Summer With a True Viking Spirit
Taking care of your beard during the summer is imperative to keep it healthy, manageable, and stylish. With the sun, heat, and sweat, it's essential to keep your beard clean, moisturized, and protected against pollutants.
Regular washing, exfoliating, and conditioning can prevent dryness, itchiness, and flakiness, while beard oil and balm can provide much-needed moisture and protection. In the end, trimming and styling your beard regularly will also help in maintaining its health and shape, while enabling you to experiment with new styles.
It is important to “Embrace the summers”, by incorporating these tips into your summer beard care routine, thereby enabling your beard to remain healthy, attractive, and comfortable throughout the season.